I am a London-based business journalist, analyst, campaigner and consultant. I have over 15 years’ experience in climate change & energy policy and sustainable development and I have recently become quite busy with Brexit-related advocacy work.
I am passionate about making seemingly technical issues accessible to a much wider audience through clear, jargon-free writing or other means of communication. I’ve recently started making short films, and I’ve had my first screening at a film festival in August 2019. I am currently working on a series of short films on global environmental issues.
Among my top achievements in policy & campaigning:
- devising and commissioning (with colleagues from The Big Ask campaign steering group) the world’s first ever report on setting a national carbon budget, which achieved high profile media coverage and contributed to kick starting the debate on establishing a UK Climate Change Act;
- explaining to British politicians how other EU countries promoted renewables e.g. with Feed In Tariffs, at a time when this approach was unthinkable in the UK (one of these politicians later promoted FITs as a minister);
- fending off cuts to EU development aid during tense EU Budget negotiations;
- co-designed, launched and managed a major global research and dialogue project on the future of coal (Coaltransitions.org) including academics, NGOs and trade unions as well as representatives of the coal industry;
- achieved with colleagues a boost in global media coverage on climate related risks to the financial system, e.g. from coal “stranded assets”, in countries where media had previously not covered the issue.
I am bilingual Italian and English and speak good French and Spanish, plus some Russian. I have lived, studied and/or worked in six countries and three continents.
Please contact me for more information and a quote. mail – AT – germanacanzi.eu