– Climate Strategies (Feb 2016 to April 2017) – Head of Programme & Marketing (interim contract). Co-led design, branding and launch of Coal Transitions research project; devised and managed a comprehensive international report on the history of past transitions away from coal. Project managed other government or EU funded research initiatives. Led effort to rebrand Climate Strategies on social media to raise its profile and that of its members. Greatly increased organisation’s stakeholder outreach through a variety of communication channels, including articles and op-eds by Climate Strategies members and partners aimed at distilling complex research for a broader audience.
– University of Westminster (2016) – Visiting lecturer for the MA in Energy & Environmental Change
– Energy & Climate Intelligence Unit (2015) – Senior International Analyst (interim) to cover the UN climate conference (COP21) in Paris. Produced briefings (e.g. “Paris in a nutshell” and “Paris: the business and finance story“), blogs, comment pieces and press releases. Outreach to a variety of private, public and non profit organisations.
– 3C Consult Create Communicate (2015) – Research and editorial work on climate change and sustainable development.
– REEEP (2013-2014) – Senior adviser to the Director General. Research on climate & energy finance, business development, strategy & fundraising. Managed research project commissioned by World Bank and submission of a project proposal to the European Commission.
– Bond (2012-13). 10 month maternity cover as lead EU policy adviser for the UK membership body, bringing together around 400 international development agencies. Led a research project on the future of UK and EU aid to Middle Income Countries.
– European Environmental Bureau/ECOS (2008-2012) Devised, launched and co-managed the Coolproducts for a Cool Planet campaign. Worked with Avaaz to generate a petition to the EU Commission signed by more than 144,000 citizens in a few days.
– WWF International (2010-2011). Wrote extensive internal-use report on strategies/positions on clean energy of 60+ global companies.
– Greenpeace UK (2010). Researched and mapped EU level policies relevant for the organisation’s work on tar sands (with Robin Webster).
– Bankwatch (2009). Managed research project on EU structural funds in Central and Eastern Europe.
– Artists Project Earth (2009). Translation and editorial services for the Italian launch of the Rythms del Mundo – Classics CD onto the Italian market (in aid of victims of natural disasters and climate change).
– Friends of the Earth Europe (2008). Training sessions on working at EU level (with business partner Stephan Scheuer).
– Friends of the Earth England, Wales and Northern Ireland (2007). Researched and mapped options for a European version of The Big Ask campaign.
– WWF UK (2007). Wrote a briefing paper on European emissions trading policy and renewable energy, which was used by the press.
– Forum UE, German NGO Forum on Development and Environment (2006). Authored a report on multilateral development bank and EU funding for climate & energy for Forum UE and published by German NGO platform Venro.
– WWF Canada (2006-7). Wrote extensive briefing on EU energy conservation policies to inform the organisation’s policy proposals for Canada.
– Friends of the Earth, England Wales and Northern Ireland (2005-6).
- Head of UK climate & energy policy, managing a team of 4 people and chairing the cross-departmental climate policy group including around 10 senior members of staff during “The Big Ask” (the first UK campaign for a new Climate Change Act);
- Regular media commentator and public speaker at events on climate & energy policy;
- Coordinated a climate policy and economics research project during a government Energy Review and in the run up to the Stern Review, which led to high profile media coverage (including BBC Newsnight);
– WWF International (2005). Carried out research on global and national greenhouse gas emission statistics and trends to support media and communication work ahead of the G8 in Gleneagles.
– WWF European Policy Office (2001-2005).
- Set up and managed the organisation’s first-ever pan-European NGO campaign on energy efficiency;
- Contributed to the organisation’s broader work on climate change and energy;
- Wrote WWF position statements, briefings and reports;
- Represented WWF with media, business groups, policy makers and the public.